Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Help! I need a GPS for life!

My highway of life is like everyone else's life, I know, except for different faces and trials. Good days and horrible, and some days that shout out "holy crap, what next?" Ahhh, I've learnt not to say that though because there's always a "what next" and it ain't pretty.

Recently, we were blessed with a huge "miracle." One of our sons lost his job last year and moved in with us then had a motorcycle accident and his right arm was almost severed off. The arm will never "work" right but he can use his hand, write, etc. I didn't think he'd be able to go back to driving a truck, and he was declined any disability or assistance. His work experience was truck driving so once he was able, he feverishly pursued that line of work. A few weeks back a company contacted him and right now he is driving on his 90 day trial period. It is a miracle in that with today's economy and his condition he could get a job. God was truly with our son and our family. We are so thankful! I didn't think it would happen and he would be living with us forever!

Right after our son went to work, our daughter went into the hospital. She had taken an over dose of her medication - on purpose. She has a mental disability. I know this illness is not uncommon in our children today - I hear stories all the time. She had been doing fine, except in the past couple of months there's been a lot of stress, her social workers have not been as helpful but without realizing putting a lot of stress on her and it finally took its toil. Like many occurrences in life, sometimes things happen for the best - maybe she was having a relapse and we didn't see it. She recovered from the overdose and is still in the hospital being treated. She had lived in her own apartment but now will go back to group housing. She wants this change which tells me there's more to the picture than this mother is aware. She is being cared for and her medication monitored. We can visit her and when we do, she is in great spirits. There's so much as parents we just don't know.

Bob and I have our dream, but we are also helping our son and granddaughter - still. I often wonder whether God's plan is not what our dream is - sometimes it's very frustrating as an adult not to have the freedom I want because of other responsibility, and maybe my rebellious attitude is only giving me a negative attitude. It isn't easy - struggling against what you know must be done when you'd rather be doing something different.

That's life, isn't it? I am wise enough to know God has already given me His GPS for life - but there are some day's I'm too stubborn to turn it on.

1 comment:

Call Me Grandma said...

You sure do sound like me. Twenty years ago, I never dreamed my life would have all this stuff in it. I thought my kids would be grown and I would be able to come and go, and do as I pleased. That is not the case.
Prayers going out to you and your family.