Monday, October 12, 2009

Everyone with total knee replacement - please stand up!

First I was then I wasn't now I'm not, I think! I've been complaining about the pain in my legs for awhile. Limping is not an activity that I have enjoyed. I feel so old and a nurse told me "you're not old" but 'lady, I feel old!!! When you've lived a very active life with little or no health problems, and if there were any, I didn't talk about it - until a few years ago. I've always been pretty pain tolerant but now I don't do so well.

After seeing the orthopedic surgeon and having ex-rays taken, zowie, surgery was necessary. My left knee is a mess - no meniscus, no wonder I was/am in pain!! The right knee is not as bad but lacks a full coverage of meniscus. Golly, I'm glad I found that out! So, surgery date is scheduled for total knee replacement for the left knee and so preparations are on. I am an organizer so the race was on to organize my stuff for the visit to the hospital and the expected stay of four days. Family notified; house slippers ordered - no flip flop types because of activity and physical therapy; nice robe purchased, must look nice walking around the hospital; mp3 player filled with music; and two good paperback quick read mystery books purchased, so just about ready to go - next planning for blood work and final paper work to fill out.

Can you imagine how surprised I was when I received a call from the nurse saying the doctor wanted me to go through physical therapy for a month - it might keep me from having to have total knee replacement, and no surgery now! My husband was angry- what could physical therapy do where it is bone on bone!!! So, here I am faced with this decision, should I go to another surgeon? There's no doubt the physical therapy will help, I haven't been as active as I should be and I know there will be an adjustment after the knee replacement and there will be PT then, but the question is their attitude that PT will cure the problem of bone on bone is another issue. Was this just the words of the nurse? I was too shocked to know what to say.

On top of that - the hospital called this afternoon to remind me of my surgery and continued to ask questions assuming that I was having surgery - I was double shocked!!! They were shocked, everyone's shocked, I guess!! Oh, but upon further searching she did find the nurse had canceled the surgery - but the surgery nurse at a different extension had no clue and she wasn't going to take my word for it - I had to contact the doctor to contact her - the surgery nurse, but she reveals the doctor is on vacation!!! Ah, could he just be on vacation and that's why he didn't want to schedule the surgery NOW!! But, it was his call, I was also in shock (again) when I found out my condition and that I needed surgery.

What a mess. I am going to talk to my regular doctor this week. Maybe he can give me some guidance. For now, there may be physical therapy in my future, but the surgery will have to wait until after the holidays. I could have tolerated the challenges coming home after having the surgery the first of November but any later would physically challenge me up through the holidays - and with Soldier Tom and Tine coming home for the holidays I don't want to be incapacitated.

Take good care of yourself and even if you do, be prepared for anything to happen when you get to the tender years of Senior Age.

No comments: