Monday, November 23, 2009

The turkey's thawing

I had Bob pull the big bird out of the freezer this morning and leave him (the turkey not Bob) on top of the freezer - its very cold in that room. I'm never really sure where and how long to thaw that bird, but we've never gotten sick in all the years I've cooked a turkey. Don will be in town tomorrow and Suz will come over Thursday morning. It will be strange without Tom, but he's got Tine and they are going to an Army friend's home for dinner.

I sent them a box of goodies on Saturday - priority and they received it today. Imagine that - all the way to North Carolina, great mail service. Tom said it seemed like he did when he got a box of stuff in Iraq. He has a girlfriend now, so I know he is taken care of and I don't think of sending him stuff now. She is a good cook too and has gotten him involved in the kitchen as well, but I think he is enjoying it too. I am glad! He's very independent which is a good thing. They will be home for Christmas with Peanut the dog too - can't wait to see all three.

Too many difficult health thingies going on around here between Bob and I all totaled together - too many things!!! All you youngins out there reading this who are healthy, be thankful, enjoy life, and take good care of yourself. As you get older stuff happens like arthritis and other weird things that slow you down and believe it - it can get ugly. Bob and I get so aggravated we have slowed down. He's still got a lot of spunk and keeps really busy, I can't keep up with him.

I've been in the cooking mood which isn't good for the diet we set out on. One thing strange happened today - I forgot how to make my mom's vegetable soup. I've been making it for over 45 years. I forgot to buy the most important ingredient - a soup bone - and rather than go back to the store I decided to just use beef broth - well, it ain't the same thing. Bob loved the soup. It was thick and he likes his soup that way, but I didn't care for it at all, I know it was because I didn't make the broth from scratch.....I've decided I need to write down the recipes I've made from memory before I really get forgetful. Tom asked for my chili recipe and I forgot how I made it. Ooo no - senility is setting in!!!!! I'm the type of cook that has a basics foundation then adds what I want as I go along.

Well, gotta go - we've been watching "Dancing with the Stars" - and it's on now - the finale!!! I can't believe Bob has gotten interest in this show, but I'm really glad. He's a SyFy guy. I really do think Donny Osmond should have left last week - I thought that tall blond beautiful model was a better dancer, but I guess Donny had more votes because of his star power.

Hope you and your family are well. Take good care.

No comments: