Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day

The voting polls close here in Nevada at 7 PM tonight and that's approximately 10 hours from now, but the final decision for who won the nomination for President may be decided before that time and someone may concede.

I recall when Senator Bob Dole was running against Bill Clinton. I had to wait until election day evening to vote and until my husband got home. He went straight to vote when he got off work. It was dark as I parked my vehicle near the grade school voting station. I was listening to a local radio station and as I turned off the engine they made the announcement that the one I was voting for was conceding and proclaimed Bill Clinton the winner. I was devastated. I hadn't even voted yet - I wanted to scream at them, to wait, there were still more people voting. But no, all that business with the TV stations tallying up the percentages and possibilities either made people stay home, and they projected what came to be the inevitable. It was a very destructive experience to me.

I went into the building to vote anyhow and there was still a long line even as late in the evening as it was. I met people I had never seen from our neighborhood before, it was very crowded. I was there for a couple of hours. I already knew the destiny of my vote, but I did vote, and I would do it again because it is my duty, my right, and my responsibility as an American citizen to let my voice be heard.

No comments: