Sunday, November 23, 2008

Frozen turkey

Alias, I have gone back on my word, my agitation has diminished, I am on the fence of being almost excited about, can you guess, yes, it's meeting face to face, hand to hand with the frozen turkey. I regressed from my negativity and frustration when I read the grocery stores ads last week offering turkeys "buy one get one free" especially Butterballs. I do have to insert here, the Butterballs haven't been all that I've expected but then the past couple of years of cooking turkeys I haven't had any successful tasty cooked bird at least in my humble opinion of my cooking and expectations. I also must explain without length verbiage that recently my frustration has been with an non-compliant assistance cooking/cleaning house resident staff. As the advancing of age has interfered with my physical movements by placing restrictions and pain on my limbs, my energy and enthusiasm to be on my feet for a whole day is not as appealing as it was in my younger years. I have always loved to cook so it is very discouraging not to receive the support from the "boarders and hoarders" air apparent (don't know what that means - it just fits here). So, IF there was to be a Thanksgiving dinner at the Sullivan's this years there must be something done. I have grown tired and weary of begging, sobbing, moaning and groaning, yelling and screaming for help and the thought of passing out a tin cup for them to go beg on the street corner did cross my mind, but oh well, that's gross when we do have so much here in our home. Am I being nasty, yeah, probably, but well, I'm the cook and I do have one good assistant who is always there - my chief bottle washer and my hubby. So, the plan is on.

I have a plan, a menu, the ingredients are purchase with the exception of a couple last minute things, and so we are ready to get started. Because of my limitations and my desire to limit the size of our eyeballs and stomachs and behinds I have downsized the dessert, but nothing else, well, actually, I may eliminate a couple things because I haven't found a solution to make the preparation easier without help - so because of this, they will do without - maybe that will show them!!!! Either offer assistance or you don't get that traditional "you know what!" dish you always get at Thanksgiving. Evil, jeannie meannie appearing, please forget me Lord, I do know what I'm doing and after all you do give me these "people" to help, and right now this is the best I can do.

I have been talking to God about my feelings and problems. I know He has His hands full with the prayers of the politicians and the auto makers and their big bail outs, and the people who are out of work and so many other more important problems in our world, like Iraq, so my requests for strength for preparing our Thanksgiving dinner is very inconsequential. And so I realized that I should just forget sending in my request for physical assistance at this time and request spiritual guidance to accept. I know God has given me pretty good stamina and creativity and I'll make do. And, I do want to thank our Lord for all He have given us - I am grateful for all our blessings. I know in my heart He does give to each of us what we can handle. I am not sure I go along completely with some of that philosophy. I know that does goes along with the idea of the "grass is greener on the other side" and that if we really had a choice of the other side and we saw what they had to go through, we'd keep our yard, and that's how I feel and will try to do my best every day with His help.

Dear Lord, I do thank you for all your blessings, and the trials that have helped me grow in faith and spirit. Please bless these fine folks who read my blog, and all our family and friends. Keep them safe and sound. Oh, and Lord, please, send each of them a special blessing today, a surprise, that will make them stop and know it was your Holy Spirit visiting them.

1 comment:

Call Me Grandma said...

For the last few years I have been injecting my turkey the night before with a marinade. It gives it a very good flavor.
Have a good Thanksgiving.