Thursday, September 3, 2009

crap happens when least expected---or wanted!


Bob and I are approaching our 45th wedding anniversary date. We can't do anything big deal fuu-fuu, but we were hoping to get out of town for a couple of days just for some quiet time ---- alone, that is the operative word----ALONE - Together,,,,,,,,,! Well, shuckie darn! Crap does happen when least expected, especially when all seems good.

Everything was moving very smoothly, things were ready to go, we went to bed with everything organized, all bases were covered, Kevin was here to take care of things, no big deal problems, smooth sailing. But, it was not to be this time - - woke up at 3 AM with a minor headache, dumb me, didn't take anything for it - - - now, mind you, I hadn't been drinking anything, sometimes certain wines or mixed drinks will give me a headache and I only drink two - three makes me incessantly continually giggly........So by 5 AM the headache had advanced into a migraine. I can't remember the last time I had a migraine - at least back when Brian was alive and that was back in the 90s. If you are one who have migraines, you know you need quiet and dark and the toilet free at all cost. I hugged the pot for an hour - and fortunately we have a nice cozy place where ours is situated and one can grab the walls and not fall or stumble if sick - even laying one's head on the wall and sleeping has happened too -not a perfect place, but when you're sick, who's picky!! Plastic waste can very available, lined with bag easily taken out - quickly - - - well, you get the drift. Bob is a dear, he knows the drill, cold wet washcloth to the forehead and leave. I ended sitting in the bedroom chair - the best position with migrane, laying down is horrible. By noon, I was one-fourth a human being again, quick recovery I think. Bob again is a good nurse, serving chicken ramon soup with 7 up later in the day. I could hear him checking in on me as I slept in the chair.

Dang it!! We'll make plans to go maybe next week. Only a couple of days just a few miles away, not a long drive, but pretty, just to get away. We have responsibilities to help our son and granddaughter, it's different when your our age, and still have responsibilities and can't just pack up and go. I envy those our age who can. After all, we're Senior Citizens and have paid our dues!

You know you never know what God has in mind for your life. I am blessed the best with a loving husband. Forty-five years has flown by so it seems. Dreams have been fulfilled, but I'm not finished dreaming - I have a list, and that list includes loving and laughing, and traveling with the man I've shared my bed with for these past years. We may have situations in our life we can't do anything about right now, we both have health problems that we can't do anything about, but not as bad as they could be, but our reward is our marriage that has stuck. It has worked because of our faith in God and our head strong determination to make it to work. There are those little things - like holding hands still give me chills, he says the same, seeing him in a crowd, watching him walk toward me, the jokes he plays on me, we laugh at the silliest things, just knowing what to do and when, the respect for each other's space. Just knowing he's there.

I can't imagine my life without him. Long lasting love is sweet.

2 comments:

Gramps said...

Thanks for the memories, and

Happy Anniversary.

Grandpa-Old Soldier said...

Your are a very fortunate women, good on ya. Sorry things didn't work out as planned, but it could have been for a reason, who knows. All the best.