Friday, September 11, 2009

Talking in my sleep

My friend Ann will be surprised to know that I carried on a telephone conversation with her in the wee hours of the morning. Ann is a regular visitor here to my blog. She's been a friend since the first time I met her when I went to work at Southwest Gas in Las Vegas, back in 1989. She's been my friend through some really rough times in my life, mainly, Brian's accident, caring for him and then his death. I've known her through her own trials as well, especially when she lost her loving father and now as she takes care of her mom.

Ann is one of those kind of people who is very trustworthy. You know whatever you tell her, she wouldn't repeat it to anyone. You can be who you are even if you are having a very ugly day or on the top of the mountain. She also laughs at my jokes which is the main aspect I look for in a close friend - I can be a dingielingie so a friend must understand I have those days. She has a deep love of God and trusts Him to always watch over her.

So, it's not surprising that I would have an out loud verbal conversation with Ann in the middle of the night. I asked my husband this morning if he heard me talking out loud in my sleep and he said he did but he didn't realize it was Ann I was talking to this time. It was a telephone conversation with Ann and a side conversations with one of my kids, now I've forgotten who except that was about erasable markers on a white board. Ann was holding on the phone as I spoke with my kid. Ann's conversation consisted of her telling me what time she would be at school and my out loud response an explanation of when was I going to be there.

Oddly, neither Ann nor I are in school nor do we have kids in school. I have no clue where this conversation with Ann stemmed from and we haven't had a conversation about meeting at school ever. I did wake myself up talking out loud to Ann and that's why I can remember only this part. My family tells me I do talk out loud sometimes in the night and I remember it's usually when I am sick. Actually, I am sick right now, so I must have been delirious last night.

My husband and son sometimes talk in their sleep although I wouldn't repeat what my son says. My husbands speech is so blurred that even straining to hear doesn't help. One night a long time ago, he did hollower out a cuss word and was laughing (not anything promiscuous so don't go there!!!). I had never ever heard him really cuss like a Navy shore man before during those early years and even now it's very unusual so I guess that's why I still remember and it was hilarious!

I wonder if talking out loud in our sleep tells something about our inner thoughts like our dreams? If so, I guess I was thinking Ann and I needed to go back to school for some reason. I wonder what she thinks about that?

2 comments:

Call Me Grandma said...

I see in an earlier post you celebrated your 45th wedding anniversary.
Happy anniversary...may God bless you with many more happy years.

Ann Syfert said...

This is from your "talking in your sleep" friend. And I have to say that I think you have really lost your cottonpickin' mind (like that word?) if you think you are going to get me back into a schoolhouse again. That's what I think about that! But very sincerely, thank you my dear friend, for the wonderful things that you always find a way to say about me and our long-time friendship. I hope that you know (even though I can't put it into words like you do) that I feel the very same way about you and our friendship. And when are we ever going to lunch?
Love you,
Ann