Saturday, September 19, 2009

Old eyes and shaky fingers


This afternoon Alexandra and I sat down to make more jewelry. We are new to this hobby although the first go round went pretty well, you'd think it would be all down hill but something has changed.

Alex is very clever and talented. She can put together a necklace or bracelet in the speed of light with a variety of colors, styles, and beads while I am struggling putting the ends on her designs. I am quietly thinking that I must come up with a better strategy or working arrangement because we are not actually working together. I am too grumpy as I struggle to put the string through the little holes of the clamps, crimps, and jollies and all the rest of the doo daas that finishes the piece. We have a bright light in the room but I need a lamp that shines directly on the work, so there's something else to be in the way. Organizing the work area has been another thing. I thought this was going to be a fun way to spend time with my granddaughter but I find myself being irritated and grumpy with her and that is defeating the whole purpose of this time.

So its back to square one and starting my plan all over. I think the best would be for me to put the finishing touches on the jewelry after both of us have worked together on a couple of pieces. Until I get the hang of it and can whip right through the most difficult part, I think this will work out the best - she won't mind waiting until I put on the finish touches. This way we will have time to work together and share ideas.

There are so many beautiful beads, chains, hooks, finishing thingies and so many other things to add on - beading is an art in itself. I know we will have fun and enjoy our accomplishments once we get situated and organized together. We have lots of books to go through for new ideas.

I have made myself a bracelet which fell apart but I do know why - I didn't have it connected correctly at the end. Believe it or not, there's a lot to know and learn. My hands shake more these days than when I was younger and my eyes have trouble dealing with putting the stretchy string through the small holes - like threading a needle, but I can do it if I keep trying. Like Thomas the Train, I think I can, I know I can. We will reap the rewards of our accomplishments and the time we spend together.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

Hello,
I just happened upon your blog and saw a photo/caption of my cousin Indra Geerts. Thank you.
It's always good to see him. We worry about him, as we do for all the men and women serving.

All best,
Jackie Wlodarczak
jzak2007@gmail.com