Sunday, September 13, 2009

The men, they are cooking Sunday dinner..

As previously mentioned, me and my water bound knee plus large black and blue lump on foot of leg of same water logged knee is reporting no change and ability to get around remains difficult and limpingly to say the least. However, one bright star at the end of the universe is a husband who will try anything. Sunday dinner is something we look forward to, so husband Bob agreed to do the work while I supervised from the kitchen chair. Agreed!!!!

As time neared to get things rolling in the kitchen, the telephone rang, it was Soldier Tom calling from Ft Bragg, well actually his car as he was on his way to the grocery. He was hesitating, but inquiring apologetically, he needed advice. He was determined to cook dinner tonight for Tine, and he needed help. How do I cook lasagna he asked? This was the meal he had decided to do to prove he could put together a dinner for Tine. The men in this family can't turn down a challenge, so I imagine Soldier Tom was challenged and he was determined to complete his cooking mission. So, how do you give advice over the phone on how to cook lasagna? Holy cow!!!! My brain went into freeze zone then thawed because this was my forte - cooking and computers. I gave him suggestions especially the quick way will be to use the recipe on the box of lasagna noodles for measurements which is what I follow and not try to make the sauce from scratch the first time. I'm available if you need more help was the final words before we said final sentiments of love you and take care. Then twenty minutes later as Bob was cooking, I remember the time difference - it was 7:30 PM his time, it would be 11:00 PM probably before they eat. I called him and suggested something less time consuming or easier, but he wouldn't budge - he was committed. So, we parted on those word and I haven't heard from him since. I'll give him a call in the morning to see how it went. Bob and I wondered if Tine was helping out too or was this a "do it alone" challenge? I know he helps her in the kitchen all the time. I'm proud of him for learning and achieving involved cooking skills.

Here on the home front, Bob's assignment was Beef Stroganoff. My recipe was a simple recipe. I volunteered to be his sous chef since I could sit and chop. Since Bob became retired he has taken on many kitchen chores. He does seem to enjoy himself and follows instructions very well. The dinner was excellent. It was very nice to enjoy our Sunday dinner together tonight.

The only downside of men in my kitchen is their persistence for turning the heat too high under the skillets. So, my saving grace was to buy them their own pans to cook with and I hide my good cookware. It is lovely to turn over the duties of cooking of fine cuisine to the men in the house. There are bonuses all round.

No comments: