Sunday, February 7, 2010

What do you want for Valentine's Day?

Or better yet - what value do you or your lover put on Valentine's Day and how you celebrate?


Hubby and I were just now chatting about Valentine's Day, actually I brought it up, wondering out loud when it was. I was having a memory lapse and couldn't remember what today's date was and when was Valentine's Day. Ok! so it's next Sunday, what now? I apprehensively glance over at him. He is sitting in his chair to the right of me about ten feet away working on his laptop computer while we watch the CBS Sunday Morning program, we never miss it, and I ask him the $24,000.00 question "what are we going to do for Valentine's Day?" His response............silence. Typical....after 45 years, I know it's up to me. He is not the "surprise ya!" kind of guy.

Oops! but then I remember, I already have his Valentine's gift. It wasn't wrapped up in pretty red paper with a giant bow, in fact, it came in a cardboard box with a handle. I was thinking what is one woman's diamond is another's set of sheets, although I prefer pearls over diamonds. And, for sure, not every woman would be so satisfied with my gift that came in a cardboard box, unwrapped. So, I ask "What appeals to you?" What would really set you off and make you ooohhhhh and aaahhhh when you open your Valentine's Day gift? Even you guys, being serious of course - I think of giving my husband a nice cooked meal or going out for dinner to his favorite spot, we don't exchange gifts on Valentine's Day, so I don't have to scan my brain wondering what to give him. I wonder why it's all about the female. Seems sort of one sided. We do exchange cards. He is difficult to buy for, he is the guy who has everything. I'll have to think on that one.

We moved from our designated sitting sites in the living room to the kitchen table for breakfast and now Bob has left the area and is off to take his morning nap - we're retired, but even on Sundays he has routine naps. The area on his forehead where he was receiving radiation treatments for cancer looks good. I hope it is healed on the inside. I don't know how the doctors know just by looking.

Bob has given me many gifts in our years together. He struggles to pick out just the right one. He says I am difficult to choose for and I know it is because we have different tastes. As I've gotten older I face the reality of our differences. It must be realized there's more to love than gifts and the words on greeting cards although the words are true and everlasting and at times necessary to hear.

Today he is very gifted in giving and caring for the simple comfort in life. I waited on him "hand and foot" when we were young - because I wanted to. I catered to his every need because I wanted to make him happy. If it sounds icky and too mushy, it is, but it worked for us. Now, today he cares for me. I have medical needs and I don't have to ask twice or ask at all, he is there, he can predict. He does so willingly, with a very caring heart and a beautiful smile. He would do anything for me - and I know our devotion and dedication from day one has paid off. He needed me when I was young and strong to be his strength and at his side, today as I have lost my vitality I have his strength and devotion as I grow old.

His gift in a cardboard box came from one of our favorite stores. We were shopping for a few items only a few days ago and came across it at the end of the counter. It is something he knew I thought about getting eventually after a few bills were paid off. He said he couldn't resist the glistening and pitiful foreboding begging look in my eyes especially when I saw the price and knew the value plus the warranties - yes, I am thoughtful of those things. He nodded yes, and I think the excitement vibrated through the rest of the store - I have no proof of that but it felt that way to me. I grinned through the remainder of the shopping trip and couldn't wait to get home to open my cardboard box. I had to share my happiness with every employee I saw until the last when I actually picked it up from that special holding place. Jubilee, yippee!

My special Valentine's Day gift was a laptop computer, the one I'm typing on - with Windows 7 - now that is so exciting to me. Bob and I share many things together and he understands how I enjoy having a top notch working machine and it matters to me. I can't wear it around my neck or on my finger, but I do use it from early morning to late evening for all sorts of tasks. This is the best gift of all - finally a computer with Windows 7!

So, speaking as a well traveled been around the block sweetheart, Valentine's Day is so very nice for the young, but when you have years behind you, having a lover who knows your needs and provides your desires when needed, Valentine's Day is everyday.

No comments: