Sunday, September 28, 2008

Gold Star Mother's Day

Today is Gold Star Mother's Day. It was set aside by the President to honor the mother's of those military personnel who served and died in the line of duty. I was honored by the Gold Star Mother committee and presented with a Gold Star Banner in memory of our son Brian who served with the U. S. Army. It was unusual to present this honor on a soldier who didn't actually die in the line of duty in time of war, but because of my devotion to care for Brian who was injured while serving with the Army as a result of a non-combat accident, they agreed I was a deserving mother.

It is still very difficult to talk about everything we went through from the time we received the call of Brian's accident until the hour he passed away here at home. Someday I do hope to write everything down. Many of the problems we had with the Veteran's Administration may be helpful for another family to know and understand except that I am hopeful things are better. I do know they are trying to have better support for those with head injuries as they come back from Iraq. I had no support and even the local head injury community here in Clark County was limited. It was a journey Bob and I took on our own and with the help of our children. Our families were no help or support.

Brian was a gun-ho soldiers and he really enjoyed being in the Army. He was well liked by his battle buddies. Brian was a special child anyhow. I have been going through a memory box I have had since the beginning of time. I have things my oldest son wrote in kindergarten. But there are all sorts of newspaper articles and things on Brian, he was an achiever. He was a nice guy.

We didn't go to the celebrations for the Gold Star Mother's which was held in Boulder City. I wasn't feeling too well and didn't need to venture away from the house for personal reasons which wouldn't be mannerly to mention here. I appreciate Linda Garrison for being so kind as to keep Bob and I in the loop for the Gold Star and Blue Star Mothers. She is a wonderful and unselfish person.

It looks like rain outside and we are suppose to have thunderstorms - that would be so nice. Please do take care and I hope you have a really good week.

No comments: