Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Windows are open

Finally, I can open the two windows in my office. Right now I can hear the school recorded "bell" sounding from the elementary school down the street. It is reminding the students to go into their classrooms. It is a beautiful morning day here in southern Nevada. Our first cool enough day that we are not suffering and need to run the air conditioners. It is cool enough we can finally open our windows even if for only a short time since the heat will return later. I sat outside this morning as is my morning ritual to wave good bye to Alex as she went off to school. The hummingbirds were racing and playing and talking like it was the first day of spring instead of the ending of summer.

My wonderful husband put a hummingbird feeder by both of my office windows. I am so content when I can open both windows, pull the sheer curtain back and listen to the hummers and watch them feed. We have trees in our front yard so I am blessed to see many other types of birds playing and doing their thing too. With the windows open, I can hear the music from my wind chimes or watch the colorful twirly decorations dance in the breeze.

I love the peace and solitude I receive during the early fall mornings when the school traffic finally stops after the parents have dropped their students off at school. There is a gentle breeze this morning. We lost a lot of tree branches from strong winds which affected our area for several days. I feel sad for each branch that is broken because a bird may have lost it's nest or resting place. I am grateful there are other trees and branches to fill the needs for all the birds that visit our home.

It is a beautiful beginning to the month of September and I am thankful.

1 comment:

Miss Feisty said...

I agree...I love when it is starting to cool down and fall is right around the corner! :)