Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Another day older and deeper in dept!

Yesterday was my 65th birthday, I don't really feel older. Actually, my body does and that seemed to happen about eight years ago when things started falling apart, maybe a little before that. Thanks to the computer world, my mind is sharp as a tack - ha ha!

I think some of us have this vision of what we hope our birth-day will be like. For me it's all a fantasy. There were no clowns or balloons or strippers or anything fun like that - actually once I got a balloon but never clowns except for those regular family members in attendance and I have never ever seen a stripper. Maybe after 65 years I should think I am missing something - or not! My husband is very conservative and I doubt that he would approve even at this age.

It was a beautiful day and there's always lots to be thankful for whether the day goes as you had hoped or not. Just being alive and have comforts are blessings enough. My husband and I have reached the time in our life where it would be unusual if we actually gave gifts on special occasions like birthdays or Christmas. I know that may seem odd or unloving, but it's our choice and is working out well. For example, I have wanted forever a Canon SLR/Digital camera and when one came up on sale with good payment no interest deal, that was my early birthday present. I am so grateful to have the camera whether it was early or not. It is the thought that counts after all, isn't it?

Our 45th wedding anniversary is coming up in a couple of weeks. We had hoped to go somewhere but the costs of having the interior of our house painted and having the jacuzzi repaired sort of knocked that idea in the head to kingdom come! We have one more job in the house to do before we put the For Sale sign up and that is to replace the rug in what was Brian's room and is now the grandkid's TV/Computer room. It was and still is a very active room. I've also decided to get a new stove top - the really cool ones in glass, but I know they aren't "real" glass. My stove top is very old and has been wonderful to cook on with a grill in the center, but the burners wires have played out, and only in fairness to the new lady of the house, she'll need a working stove when she moves in. So there you are, there's always something. Hopefully, we can get out and do something special. Looking forward to a cruise one of these anniversaries.

We all have our priorities, don't we! God brings tasks into our lives and the attitude we handle them with determines the outcome of the situation. We can mumble and groan or just do it and pray for help and change for the better. Some of us may seem to have more burdens than others but I believe God doesn't give us more to handle than we can take care of - although there have been times I've argued that point vigorously. We are here to serve and take care of one another and some of our duties are more dependant than others and those individuals need more help. But sometimes I wonder when will that dependency ends and our freedom begins.

No comments: