Thursday, February 26, 2009

Ash Wednesday repentance

I missed the ashes yesterday and I feel guilty, but we did fast. Isn't guilty the prime feeling during lent anyhow? Joking! I have little self-control when it comes to giving up chocolate and goodies but I'll try. I know people who fast and do all sorts of religious sacrifices during lent but I'm not there.

It is an old familiar tradition to go back to the meat-free Fridays. It was sort of fun to think of new ideas with the old style meatless recipes for all the Fridays of Lent. Ash Wednesday is suppose to be a light eating day, we had mac and cheese and tuna for supper. I do make a great mac and cheese from scratch and the tuna sandwich was tasty, with applesauce - haven't had that in a long time. Maybe that was too much for the traditional Ash Wednesday meal, dunno! For those not knowing about the Catholic traditions these habits may seem weird, but it is helpful to our spiritual soul to sacrifice. I'll buy some cod from Costco next week - I love cooking cod fish - its a fast dish to prepare and lo calorie too. Mom use to make salmon patties - so easy and cheap to prepare - a can of good salmon, no expensive, with egg and cracker crumbs and a little onion - fry in a little oil until done and eat, with some ketchup, uummm yummy! Then there's tuna casserole - I have a quickie recipe not out of a box. Grill cheese sandwiches and a salad - there's so many oldies but goodies from the past I love to bring back during Lent.

I know it's not all about food but our spiritual renewal. I haven't decided how I will proceed there yet. I know, I should have figured all this out before Ash Wednesday, but God knows my mentality and I hope HE gives me a temporary pass on this one for now.

Have a great day and take care.

1 comment:

Call Me Grandma said...

Once again Gene and I are giving up the slots. When we tell people this they chuckle, but we do enjoy them. With the money we save by not going we can give this money to a worthy charity as our lenten offering.