Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The first crocus

Not much happening today, I think I have spring fever. I saw our first yellow crocus this morning as I was out front waving good-bye to Alexandra as her dad drove her off to school. Bob is out front fertilizing the yard. Our weather is typically pleasant this time of the year - not too cold and not hot at all, these are reasons I hesitate moving from here. The last time we visited Ohio, it was rainy and humid and I thought to myself as we were running hurriedly from the grocery to the car - "what am I doing here?" I was chilled to the bone. I lived in the midwest and east coast but once you settle in the west your blood thins and any bone chilling weather is the most miserable experience - and I am not sure that any pleasure or satisfaction of home sweet home would make me leave this weather permanently. We'll see........

Suzanne is scheduled to be released from the hospital but we don't know where they'll place her. It's a difficult situation and I feel helpless. This is one of those times a parent has no say so and really, you don't want to, it's better to let the professionals handle it for the sake of her benefits and they know more than I do and have the upper hand. She turned 40 on the 30th. We'll take her out to dinner if possible once she's settled in where ever. Most of the times when patients are in the group homes they can leave for a specific time.

Kevin's work hours have been cut completely - he works at one of the big hotels on the strip. The economy is hurting the tourist trade of Las Vegas. Even Steve Wynn is cutting back his employees work time.

I'm anxious to see what the big deal stimulus does for our country - there are more stupid money projects buried in the plan - like a neon sign for Vegas and a Frisbee course in Austin, Texas. Have people gone mad????

The Las Vegas area is suppose to be the number one spot for home foreclosures, and here we are thinking of selling. Duh! The house values have dropped over $100,000.00 in our neighborhood. Now is the time to buy! We don't have to sell, thank God, so we can wait this out, but I've promised Bob I'd test the waters for his sake. We need to down size for our health sake.

Hope you all are well and are keeping warm! I know what it's like to live through ice storms, piles of snow and below zero weather, so I do feel for you. I talked to my Uncle Dick in Ohio last night and he told me they had just gotten six inches of snow - I told him it was sunny and 65 degrees here - he told me to shut-up (all in the spirit of jest, of course)!
God bless and take good care.

1 comment:

Call Me Grandma said...

A Crocus is blooming? Hard to believe. I am sitting in my kitchen and the outside temp is 3 degrees. Yes, the kids have a two hour delay. I don't have any kids today. Thursday is Grandma's day off.
I feel so helpless about my mom, also.
I think this rehab place is going to take her insurance for all it is worth. Feb 10 is fast approaching and no one is talking about discharge.