Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Are these the Dog Days of Summer?

Today is a lolly dolly day - a non-happening except for one exceptional date. Bob and I had breakfast with a very dear person and her husband this morning. I have known her from a distance because we never actually worked face to face except once and our dealings have been via the telephone since the 80s. She is marvelous and a real mover and shaker even at the youthful age of 83 - you would never know it if you saw her! She is a thoughtful person and a very hard worker. She and her husband hail from Southern California and they love to come to Vegas often. We've tried to get together for years, but I'm usually tied up with family stuff. When she called the other night and invited us to meet her on the strip, I know she almost fainted when I said when and where. We had a lovely breakfast and did a lot of talking in the two hours we were together. It was one of those special occasions I am very thankful I didn't miss. I treasure every minute we spent together.

I need to do some upgrading on my blog formatting. I don't know if the song that is playing is annoying to you - I am enjoying it for now. I do have another musical widget to put in its place. I am not sure how it will work, but we'll try it out. Let me know if you have any problems and how you like it. I want to put in a slide show of family photos too but I need to put that together on my google site.

Bob and I have been dieting - maybe I should call it a program instead, that's the term Weight Watcher's use. We are not attending the meetings but we are following the point system and we have bought Weight Watcher meals and the other brands too. We have a high fiber cereal with 2% milk for breakfast, in addition to drinking a lot of water throughout the day. I utilize the points calculator on the Weight Watchers website to keep track of my daily count. I find this a good tool for me and it is accurate as long as I put in the amounts correctly and don't fib. Bob is a good partner and I appreciate his support. We are swimming for at least an hour every day. Since Brian died in 2000, I became very lethargic. The reasons for that could be mourning his death or the fact I was wore out taking care of him for so many years. I've been on lots of different dieting programs and I know it really is a personal decision on what works for each person. You gotta do what you what works best for you.

I have enjoyed watching the two American female gymnasts (Johnson and Lunkin) and am very thankful they did well. As best friends they supported each other and shared in each other's successes. Tonight is the finals for the Women's Beach Volleyball game (Walsh and May). If you haven't seen these two women play, then you've really missed an event. They are awesome. The men's basketball team has been phenomenal to watch! I believe they have three more games to play to the finals. I have a huge problem staying awake since the Olympic games are on late in the evening. I sit up straight but Bob is afraid I will fall out of my chair sleeping. I don't want to miss a thing. We are not accustomed to staying up past 10. One evening we watched the Olympics then watched the Saddleback Form with Obama and McCann. It was after 1 AM when we finally turned the TV off. Our kids were in shock - actually so were we! The next morning I still woke up at 6.

Thanks for stopping by. Hope all is going well at your place. Take care.

No comments: