Sunday, August 17, 2008

What has your mom told you about your Birth - Day?

Today is my day. I am now officially 64 years old. Good Lord - where did the time go? Do I feel like 64 you might ask and I'd reply "what is 64 suppose to feel like?" I won't go into my litany of aches and pains that mentally create an "old" feeling and I know most are "senior moments" expected to happen normally. I think raising grandchildren has probably kept my mind sort of young thinking. Bob is not motivated to young, he's too laid back and serene and enjoys being retired. I'll write more about him on his Birth-Date next month.

I am curious however if your mom ever told you about the day you were born and what happened in the hospital and how the family reacted. My immediate family has gone on to Heaven (I am sure of that!) so I can't ask any questions today. What I remember my mom telling me about the day I was about to be born is very simple and it is about a parking spot. I was I think eight years younger than my brother, I know, I should remember that, but it was one of those issues and still is that I didn't hold on to, some dates just don't stick. Anyhow, I guess when mom was in labor with Sonny - that was the name I grew up calling him when I was little but when I got older I had to call him by his given name Nick. I don't know why they called him Sonny. He was funnier than heck and always kept me in stitches when he wasn't picking on me but I don't specifically remember him being a "sunny" sort of fellow. Anyhow, back to the story. It seems that my brother took a long time being born. Evidentally when Sonny's time had arrived and mom was in labor, dad rushed mom to the hospital only to have to wait for him to actually decide to be born. This was in the 1930s and I know they didn't have medication to help his birth along. So eight years later it was my turn to come into the world. Dad remembered how he rushed he was to get mom to the hospital and he had to wait so it wasn't going to happen like that again! I remember mom saying when she was in labor with me that dad's main intention was to find "a good parking spot" rather than rush her to admitting. Mom said she had to walk a long way and she was really in pain. Having had four children, I could visualize the experience and the struggle mom went through. I can hear her saying to dad "hurry up Nick" (Nick was my dad's name too - brother was Nick Jr.). My dad was a stubborn man and I don't think he realized just how close the time was getting for his bundle of joy to be plopped into this world. I remember mom saying something about an elevator and a wheelchair and that's all. Those events are all I know. Could I have been born on an elevator? Or in a wheelchair? Those thoughts would make my dreams complete and would explain a lot of my mentally. Just think about it - how would you like to be born in an elevator? Is that why I enjoy riding elevators? Or is it the music that puts me to sleep?

There you are and that's all I remember. I wish I had asked more questions and I wish I had written it down. I have experienced two of my grandchildrens birth in person and it is the MOST greatest, fantastic phenomena event of my life. Nothing will ever replace the experience of these events. I am blessed to have both these grandchildren close in my life now - one I raised, and the other lives with me now. As for my own four birth, each were as unique and diverse as anything in this world but that's for another time to be told.

Have you thought about your Birth-Day? If you have the opportunity, ask your mom or dad if they are still living. I know they would be thrilled to tell you about it. After all, without them, you wouldn't be reading my blog.

Have a great day - I know I will.

No comments: