Monday, August 25, 2008

First Day of School

Good grief it's Monday - again! and the end of August already. Where has this month gone?

The Olympics are over and the Democratic National Convention will actually begin tonight. It's difficult to realize that the convention's first event is tonight since most of the major news stations have been focused on this event even before today. If you are not interested in political news and just want the local news then good luck finding a TV news station that has anything but politics. You might even say "thank goodness for the remote control" so you can move back and forth between TV reports and commercials.

The Main Event at Grandma's House today which is even more important than the Olympics or the DNC is the little girl heads back to school - new grade, new teachers, new clothes, and a new look. She is very excited. She has grown a lot this summer. She grows more beautiful every day. I remember when she was born and each day since and I marvel at her and what a special unique young lady she is. Grandpa Bob will take her to school this morning and we have been told to take lots of pictures. Don't worry Kevin, the cameras are all charged up! Kev has to work today and I know he would much rather be here for his little girl's first day in second grade.

Our street is one of the main streets to the school so the traffic will be steady this morning and afternoon . The traffic has been relatively quiet through the summer but now with school starting again, the parents are in a rush to get their kiddies to school. They drive entirely too fast. I think one of these days I will take either my video camera or my blow dryer which resembles a radar gun and stand out in my front yard and point it at the street towards the traffic and take notice if it slows them down. There are a lot of children and parent walkers and bike riders too and I worry about them. I don't understand why parents with children aren't more conscious of the speed they drive when children are present.

She is off to school now. She looked so pretty in her new clothes and shoes. She was so nervous today. We had plenty of time. There are always last minute things little girls and big girls have to attend to when getting ready for special days. We have to have everything just so or our day just doesn't get off to a good start especially on our first day. I still cry when I see the kids go off on their first day. What an old softy I am! I thought about Tom going off to school, that seems like forever ago. And, I thought about the biggins going off to school when we lived on the farm, so long ago. First day of school is always a family's special day.

Grandpa's back and he said it was hectic! As usual for the first day, no one was sure where to go, but he held her hand all the way until he knew she was where she was suppose to be. It took some time to find the right class room but he stayed with her until the new teacher called her name. He joked with her trying to ease her nervousness and asked if he could go into the class and sit with her, but she shook her head no. We know she'll be fine. She has lots of friends.

It's always difficult the first day especially when you're only seven going on eight ---- or 64.

1 comment:

Miss Feisty said...

I can just imagine how anxious, nervous, excited and scared she was! I had a hard time falling asleep Sunday night...I hope she had a good first week! :)