Thursday, August 7, 2008

Home from Iraq

I'm a little late writing this since Tom has been home for a couple of weeks. Tom is stationed in Camp Taji, Iraq, with the U. S. Army. He is home on R&R and will be returning next week. I don't want to think about him leaving because I will cry.

Tom doesn't let grass grow under his feet. I've said that so many times since he's been home I should have a T-shirt made with those words imprinted on it. He has more friends than Carter has liver pills, I wonder if there is still a product called Carter's Little Liver Pills. I remember when I was a kid looking at the bottle of Carter's little Liver Pills - and thinking, they really were little, actually little white round pills. I have no clue what they were for and still don't today. There were a lot of pills in the small narrow round bottle so I guess that's where the "old saying" comes from because I've been saying that phrase since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Sorry, my mind does wonder, just ask my family.

Tom is a special person and I'm not just saying that because we raised him and he is our grandson. I do think it is really a special blessing when grandparents raise grandchildren. Tom's been through a lot in his young life, but he conquered his trials and corrected his errors earlier on and found who he was and has his groove going for a great life. He has a fresh innocent looking face and beyond those big brown eyes lurks a sense of humor and an oneriness that will spring into action in a split second. He is a clever sort of fellow, he will have you in his spell before you can say "whippersnapper!"

We have enjoyed having him home as we always do. He has taught me how to play new card games - hearts and poker. He has also become aware that just because Grandpa Bob is so quiet and he pretends he doesn't know how to play cards, Tom should be aware of and concerned for those who may be bluffing. Grandpa Bob won every hand much to Tom's astonishment. I enjoy playing games with the family, unfortunately we haven't done enough of it in our spare time. Tom has started a new tradition.

Tonight we are going bowling. This has been our tradition since Tom's been coming home on leave. We invite anyone who may want to join us - there is no serious competition and a lot of fun with hoop and hollering as is normal when bowling.

We've been to a couple of movies and there's still more to see. We've gone out to dinner and visited with some friends. It's always fun with Tom around and I will really miss him when he leaves. He brings something very special and unique to our home.

No comments: