Friday, December 26, 2008

Passive

Tis was the day after Christmas, all is quiet right now, no radio singing or TV blaring, three still in bed, one off to work early, another raking leaves and this one attempting inspiring thoughts. Soldier Tom called late last night from Iraq, forgetting the 11 hours difference - he just got off work. It was an uneventful Christmas for him or so he said. I know I really missed him. Every person brings a different aura to the table and when one is missing the table setting isn't complete. The time is passing quickly and we are counting, he will be back stateside soon. He is well.

This Christmas celebration was a rare one, for the first time in our married life, the gifts under the tree were sparse. Yet, both Bob and I didn't feel despair, but humble acceptance and gratitude for what we do have. We could have splurge on gifts for everyone, but there is a time to say enough. Our home was warm and comfortable even though the winds were blowing cold and rainy yesterday, there was plenty of foods and treats to share and we were together one more time. I wondered as we gathered at our dining room table and enjoyed our typical Christmas meal where would we all be next year.

I am joyful for some reason and cannot explain why, but our plans to sell this house which we've lived in for 15 years, will begin. I am excited yet I don't know where we will go. We will begin processing the stages for a new life for Bob and I. We bought this specific home because it was perfect for Brian who had brain damage and needed total care 24/7. I remember the first time I saw this property, I knew it was just right. I needed something roomy enough to get him around the house in his wheelchair and to exit and enter as well safely and quickly should there be a fire or emergency. This home was perfect for Brian, and for our grandchildren, and our children as well. This is a wonderful family home with happiness shared in every room. It is time for a younger family to share in the joy and hope and caring we have had here. Bob and I are ready for something with only two and a half baths - not five. Brian passed away in 2000. I wasn't in any hurry to sell after he left us because we had more duties to fulfill. Tom had started school in this district and I wanted him to remain in one place until he graduated, and he did. This is a great neighborhood and I am so thankful we have lived here for Brian and Tom, and now Alex is benefiting from this as well. But, its time Bob and I move on for ourselves.

This was a difficult Christmas holiday for us too. One son was out of work and the other' son work hours were cut. Tom was in Iraq, and the budget is slim - but with all of that, we still had each other and we were together as a family.

There was one element that was missing and if you've been reading my posts, you will maybe remember the big deal it has been - the Wii! I forgot to put it under the tree - it was not wrapped because our Soldier Tom sent it to us directly from Amazon, and I have it now right next to my desk - but , out of sight and out of mind. Amazingly, after all the nagging from the children, wouldn't you have thought someone would have remembered the Wii! Actually, someone did, but it was late and the old people were too tired to figure it out so the fun with the Wii will have to wait until later today. When I told Tom last night on the telephone, he thought it was so funny that they forgot. Today we will learn to Wii.

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and kept warm. I hope the Spirit of Christmas warmed your Heart and Blessed you and your family abundantly. Hope you have a great day today.

No comments: