Sunday, December 7, 2008

The Reading - Isaiah 30:20

This morning I opened my "Living Faith" pamphlet which my friend Hilda sends me faithfully as a gift. I am behind on my readings. However, I think that perhaps yesterday's reading may not have affected me yesterday the same as it does today. I must admit feebly I am not as committed to my readings as my husband is to his daily Bible scripture reading. I often ask him to share the daily reading and we discuss what he has learned. We have followed this same morning routine for many years. It is almost commonplace for us to ask how the reading can or will apply to our problems and our daily lives. I am very thankful for his knowledge and spirituality and his ability to share openly with me.

Yesterday's reading was titled "What Was Hidden Now Revealed" and I just noticed yesterday was the feast day of St. Nicholas. I remember when I was little we had a St. Nicholas day tradition of putting out a stocking and we received simple goodies. It was a long time ago and I don't remember much more than that.

Yesterday's reading begins talking about how God appeared to be "hidden" in the Old Testament, that to us he was mystical and fascinating. I remember as a young girl attending Catholic school back in the 50s I perceived God in a very unattainable place because I was so humble and just an immature child although I did find comfort in my faith and my Church. I was appreciative for my education and the close relationship that developed through time with the religious sisters who taught me. It wasn't until the Church changed some of their policies did I really understand and feel an open closeness with God and who He was. The changes by the Church in the early 60s also opened the door for me to understand more vibrantly about Jesus. It wasn't that I didn't believe or accept because we were taught to have faith and accept, but it seemed to me I just didn't understand. I was thankful for the changes so I could see why and understand and to accepted with an open heart about my faith.

Just as in yesterday's writings, I can see that what we read in scripture can relate differently each time we read a scripture or hear some one's opinion of that scripture. Faith is ever changing yet God does remain the same. I thing it's how I accept what is at hand, how I relate and what I do with what I have learned and felt as I read that makes the difference in my daily life. One sentence the author writes "There are also times when I long for the revelation of God. I want to see the Divine Face up close. The wonderful words "no longer will your teacher hide" wash over me with joy. They are good Advent words as we keep vigil with the mystery of God's incarnation" The author continues several lines later "In Jesus, God becomes friend, companion, teacher. It is easy for me to relate to Jesus as teacher."

Her final thought is "Jesus, teacher of my heart, in this holy season reveal to me what I most need to learn from you." We have all struggled through adversities of loss, change, sadness, and all the other human agony's that affect our earthly frailties. For me my faith was challenged the most when my son Brian died. I had strong faith which helped me through many trials and pain, but losing Brian brought me to my knees but not to pray. I never felt that God left me, I knew that I left God. It has been a struggle back up the hill of faith. I don't necessarily want to be where I was, but beyond. I am faced with a different set of trials which requires a different prospective from how I approached life when I was young. I was drawn to yesterday's reading because it brought to me what I feel I need and that is my request to Our Lord to be with me and to reveal what I need to learn to be a better person, wife, mother and grandmother, and friend in my daily life. I can't take my life for granted and never grow. Faith is an ever changing entity and I mustn't let myself become stagnant.

I appreciate my friend, Hilda, for sending this gift of the Living Word which arrives quarterly. She sends them to all of her friends and I can't think of a better means of sharing the Lord's words because we never know when someone needs a hug and that hug may come from the daily reading.

God bless you all. Hope you have a wonderful day.

No comments: