Sunday, April 19, 2009

The aroma of the roses

Bob and I sat out on the back porch early this morning and the aroma from the bush of the petite pink roses was so prevalent. We have had a long and mild spring which is very unusual. The appearance of the roses are amazing and their blooms enormous. We have two yellow climbing rose bushes which are filled with blooms. There are two huge rose bushes, one a deep pink and the other a coral color that are growing in the center of the back of our property. They both are covered with greenery and rose blossoms. The quail, doves, and small birds seem to find they way under the bushes for shade from the hot sun. Even the desert tortoises make their way to the bushes because they like the rose leaves - Bob says so. My lilac only had one blossom and I missed it. Bob reminded me several times, but I didn't take the time to smell the scent my favorite flower.

As I am typing now, I hear a family go by the house on their bikes and there is a dove cooing up in the mulberry tree right outside my window. The hummers have been busy at the feeders. The hummingbirds are a marvelous gift from God - they are amazing little creatures. I have moved furniture here in my office and positioned my "new" computer desk directly under the window, so I have a birds eye view, so to speak, of the hummers and the feeders, and the variety of birds that come to visit.

It is a good weather day so far, a day for opening the windows. I don't mean to brag when I realize others are having typical not so nice spring weather. But, and that is a big BUT, we are expecting 90 degree weather this week, and that is the beginning of our hot desert heat. During the summer months, it is typical to have 115 degrees - then the flowers wilt and look pathetic especially since we are on water rationing. We have lost fruit and nut trees, as well as other rose bushes. Only the real hearty flowers or desert plants survive the extreme heat we have. We are grateful for this wonderful mild spring and the glory of the gifts of the beautiful flowers God has bestow upon us.

We picked out the daybed for our company who will be here in a couple of weeks. It was delivered Saturday. I had to totally reorganize my office to fit the bed in and reposition a huge book case. I gave my huge computer desk to a friend who was kind enough to pick in up on Friday. I moved my computer tower and the printer to a shelf unit we purchased at Lowe's - there were several sizes of table tops and posts to chose from and you put it together to fit the size you needed. The monitor, keyboard and speakers are on the top on my sewing machine cabinet. This sewing machine was the first Christmas present Bob bought me back in 1964. I don't use the machine now, but the cabinet and drawers are in very good condition. It's cramped space, but it works. This is a wonderful bedroom with two windows. It has served us well for many purposes, now it will serve us again as our family progresses and new members join our home.

We received the awful news that a neighbor friend had passed away this week. It was sudden. He was going to turn 50 years old this year. He was a very nice person, aways had a smile and a kind word. He leaves a wife and two sons. The boys have been Tom's friends for years. They have practically grown up together. He was a great father. They are having a Mass for him tomorrow and he will be buried at the Veteran's cemetery where Brian is buried in Boulder City.

We stopped by the house yesterday with some food and we met his mom and dad and his sister and other family members. I know from my own experience losing Brian, there's not much you can say but be there and be supportive. It is so sad, he was so young!

No comments: