Monday, April 6, 2009

Brian passed away nine years ago......

Just a brief note in memory of Brian. Yesterday Bob and I went to visit Brian at his grave site at the VA Cemetery in Boulder City. It was the anniversary of his death nine years ago.

This photo was taken in the fall of 1989, maybe a few weeks before his accident. Brian had met the woman of his dreams. He really loved her and she felt the same way about him. They were taking a tour of the castles of Germany on this day. They were both in the Army stationed at the Army base in Stuttgart. She was a wonderful person and would have made a terrific wife for Brian.

Where does the time go? Has it been nine years? I haven't forgotten, can't forget the impact your child leaves you with when he dies before his time. We took good care of him after his accident. I had so hoped and prayed so hard he would survive the brain damage and his lungs would heal. The seizures were more than he could handle and contributed to more problems than medication would help. We did everything possible for him at home. He survived longer than anyone expected but it wasn't difficult to learn to care for him. God was beside us and gave me wisdom and strength. God blessed us with a good doctor who was very supportive. We met wonderful and commited people who worked with the Veteran's Administration in Las Vegas. I got to know them on a first name basis. Their support and assistance contributed to my success caring for him.

We haven't changed the rug in the room where his bed stood - there are imprints in the nap where the end of his bed was. This home was bought for him and remodel using his VA benefits to suit his needs as a handicapped person. This was a perfect home for him. We could see him from almost every room and the rooms we couldn't we had a monitor to turn on and a intercom system to hear. He required twenth-four hour care.

There are so many stories, but it is still very difficult to talk or write about him. Brian had a deep faith in God. He was thoughtful and considerate. He was a big teaser and had a great laugh. He could run like the wind and was very competitive. He was a wonderful son.

Brian was a beautiful person and he is missed. We know he is in Heaven with God and my mom and dad but there is a huge void in our hearts for him here.

3 comments:

Karen Deborah said...

I so understand. The sting of death is in the waiting. I have lost a lot of loved ones too. What I do hear in this post is that the events are settled with you; there are no regrets, you did all you could and you have accepted the cause. We all have an appointed time to die and his work was done. But we miss them, there is the rub.motions

Call Me Grandma said...

Sorry, I missed this post Monday, but I will remember you and yours in my prayers today.
It is so wonderful to have that hope. The hope that we will have that big reunion someday.
I know I am so waiting for that.
That is what keeps me going.

Unknown said...

I typically follow your political opinion blog, and I've seen the tribute pictures, but came across this blog today. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

I currently have a nephew stationed overseas in the army and my son is stationed in Japan in the navy, and other close friends and family members are overseas, and I know there are those who don't understand the sacrifices our military families make.

I want to thank you and your family for what you and yours have done for us.

~harry~