Monday, May 4, 2009

Do mothers/fathers make school lunches today?


Bob just returned home from taking granddaughter Alexandra to school. This is part of our assignment for a couple of days this week. It's something we were doing regularly until the economy went into the dumpster and hotel resorts on the Las Vegas strip began laying off workers or cutting hours, which is what happened to son Kevin, Alexandra's father. Then he had to have back surgery, so in the interim while he was home, he did all the fatherly chores of school, lunches, bed, etc.

Kevin has been released from the doctor for work and he is back to working at least part time - beats nothing at all. So, we are back to the routine of morning and afternoon duties which includes waking little girl, breakfast, dress, and packing lunch, before grandpa takes her to school.

I have packed lunches for all my kids and grandson Soldier Tom and Bob too - that's a lot of lunches. I know times have changed and more mothers today work because they have to. I don't see how the young couples make it financially today. Las Vegas and surrounding areas housing and rental prices are very expensive. Although with the economy as bad as it is, the housing prices have fallen downward and it is a terrific time to buy, but then there's the issue of having the money and good credit.

Alex sometimes buys her lunch and I know today the school lunches are suppose to be pretty good. I try to improvise on the day it's my duty, but Al is a picky eater. Trying to get the golden triangle of food values (not the McDonald arches) into a young feisty gal is a real chore.

I sure didn't think I'd still be making school lunches at age 64 - Life is full of surprises.

1 comment:

Call Me Grandma said...

I am doing a lot of things I thought I would not be doing at 60.
I use to think when I was raising kids, that at 60 life will finally be all about me and the hubby...WRONG!