Wednesday, May 6, 2009

That darn cat!

We are blessed with another beautiful morning. I love it when I can come into my office and open the window to listen to the birds busy feeding and singing. I guess I love early mornings better than any other part of the day mainly because its cooler. Our desert valley temps are heating up and the air conditioner kicks on around noon.

We spotted a dove with two babies yesterday morning outside the kitchen bay window. They were in the flower bed and the momma was feeding them. I remember from my days on the farm how amazed I was to learn that each momma animal has a special tone and each baby recognizes their mom's call. The dove was cooing softly to her babies as they were cuddling up to her. We had to leave for the store and when we came home the babies and momma were not in the same place. There's plenty of shelter, but not from the dreaded neighbor's cat.

We did have four roaming cats but the past couple of years the one grey and white is the only predator. I know, they keep things thinned out and it's the survival of the fittest, but I'm a softy! Yes, I even cry if I seen the cat run by having made a "kill."

The hummingbirds are busy feeding this morning. They keep Bob busy keeping the sugar formula made up and keeping the feeders full. The hummers are the busiest in the early morning and late evenings.

The Grackles are back for their routine spring visit, birthing and rearing of their youngins, then they move on. They usually pull the dead growth from the spring beds for the bedding in their nests. We can count on them to partially clean out the flower beds for us. The flowers are beautiful right now. It's been a good spring. We do need rain badly. I'm praying, but I guess God is busy!

No comments: