Sunday, May 3, 2009

My mother always said "get a lot while you are young!"

My mom died back in 1986 and I still miss her so much. She was so much fun and a great mom. As I think about her, within the span of only 30 seconds, I can think of so many things we did together and how hard we laughed at the simplest silliest things. She gave me much good advice. For example, back in 1962 when I was about to graduate from high school, mom and dad had the discussion with me about going to college, especially music college and the closest one was in Reno that I remember. I didn't want to leave the security of home. And, I had a very difficult time at the Catholic high school I was attending in Las Vegas. We had moved from my home town in Ohio as I was going into my junior year. It was very difficult adjusting and I never quite seem to fit in. I missed the kids I grew up with and at that time I was attending an all girls Catholic school, which I loved. We really did have fun. The Catholic high school I transferred to was co-ed and at that age with kids I didn't know, it made a big difference in my life. I know it made a difference in my attitude and my grades. I believe if we hadn't of moved, I would have gone on to college - but there are a lot of "what ifs" and maybes and life is what it is. It was because of that experience that I wouldn't move Soldier Tom away from this area even though after Brian died, we had talked about selling this place since it was remodeled for Brian's care with all of Brian's memories. There was the additional consideration - Tom. Tom grew up here in this house, started kindergarten here and finally graduated from a great high school just about a half mile away.

Anyhow, my mom advised me to look into a job in computers. Mind you, this was back in the early 60s when only those huge monsters of computers were the new machine of the advanced working class business. I think today, how did my mom know about computers way back then - they were so unknown. My mom didn't go to college, she didn't even finish high school, believe it or not, back in the 30s, it wasn't unusual. But, mom knowing about computers, well, you had to be there to understand, if you are the age of my grandchildren, around 20 or so, you would probably think I lost my mind, but believe me, there was a day when we didn't have a computer in every room - or some sort of tiny handheld game which is the equilivalent of a tiny computer.

I did apply to a firm that had those computers, but ended up at the telephone company here in Las Vegas and that job worked out quite well for me. Wait, I'm getting off the subject I intended to bring forth here this morning.

To "get a lot while you are young" could be interpreted several different ways, in my way of thinking. Getting a lot - - go out and buy a lot of property, yes, that would be a good thing especially in today's market and would have been good when we first moved to Las Vegas back in 1960. Holy Cow, I could be living up in one of those mansions on the hill up the street right now! Could she have meant - do a lot while you are young? Well, if that's the case, I've been there and done that - my husband had "wandering bugs in his britches" (be careful what you're thinking!) and we moved a lot when we were first married. My daughter is amazed how I can rattle off my around the country addresses in less that 2 minutes. My husband and I have experienced a lot in our 45 years together too. And, then, there's the intimate idea she may have been trying to prepare me for - and I won't mention it any further here, just use your imagination - but if you're not older than 55 you wouldn't understand.

What brought me to this thought was reading comments on my Facebook. The Friends I have are comprised mostly of kids who I knew growing up at the church we attended in La Center, Kentucky. One of the girls - Michelle, is a very beautiful young lady, now a mother. She was a very nice sweet person when I knew her back in the 70 and 80s and as I read her comments, I know she has grown into an even more beautiful person. Her mother was a gracious lady and no matter the situation, she always had a smile on her face and a very pleasant greeting to whom ever she met. I haven't seen either Michelle or her mom - Gladys, since we traveled back to Kentucky with Brian and Tom in the motorhome back in the 90s. This was after Brian's accident and he had brain damage and was in a wheelchair. Brian grew up going to St. Mary's Catholic Church, in La Center, and was an altar boy. Gladys was a very holy person. I know here on earth we rarely meet someone who has an aura with a halo, but to me Glady's has a halo.

Michelle's most recent comment on Facebook was about the time she spent recently with her 16 year old daughter. Her thought in retrospect was "they grow up so fast" and reading that comment made me chuckle. I wanted to re-comment - "just wait until you're 65 and look back at your children, grandchildren, and maybe even great-grandchildren." But, I thought better of it. I know the feeling behind that comment when you are a "young" mother and your children are growing up, forming their own ideas and ways, separate from yours. Michelle experienced a wonderful unique time with her daughter and maybe that is what my mom was telling me in more ways than one.

I am not young with regards to an "age number" and I don't move as quickly and have many aches and pains, but I'd like to think the thoughts and ideas are still youthful. Grandson Tom continually tells me "grandma, you're not old" so okay Tom, that is a wonderful compliment! Whether young or old, we should do our best to get a lot out of each day that God gives us. Trying to make the best of a bad situation even though you can't change the situation, the results of how you deal with it could make the difference between a good moment and a disaster.

My mom was wise and she understood. She taught me how to understand Bob and many things about how to live well with a man. Her teachings were simple. I didn't always listen when I was young, as we all experience with our own children - the not listening thing. Gosh, I really miss her. I wish my grandchildren had experienced her wisdom as my children did.

So, in ending, I believe in the words of my mom "get a lot while you are young" is to make the best of life everyday. There's so much to be accomplished and age is in the mind of the beholder. God bless and take care. Have a marvelous Sunday!

1 comment:

Call Me Grandma said...

I miss my mom so much. She is still here but she really isn't...if that makes sense.