Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Doctor S.

My blessings are many so it is sometimes difficult to narrow them down to write about. When we talk about moving away from here to other parts of the U. S. immediately I know there are a couple of people I will miss immensely. Today I will tell you about one because I HAD to see him yesterday - the day of the dreaded deed. I do not like going to the doctor or any doctor for that matter under any circumstances. When I was younger it was a piece of cake because I was so darn healthy and fit, but as I've gotten older they continue to find all sorts of oddities with my body and then there's that damn scale that I don't want to see it before me!!! But, unfortunately as necessary we have to go and as previously reported I fell down in my kitchen a couple of weeks ago, no broken bones, but somehow in the course of passing days my knee inherited an infection. How weird is that??? The opinion of the household was drowning out any argument I had of not going to have it checked, the family group insisted I see Dr. S., and so I did yesterday.

The meeting was as usual short, sweet, and to the point, problem solved, no brain surgery, prescription, out the door, there you are - everybody happy! But it doesn't start or end there. There is a historical tale which I must tell. It is one where trust is the basis, compassion is the glue, and friendship the dessert. If you are lucky enough to have a physician who fulfills your needs then you are very fortunate. We are very lucky indeed because we have Dr. S.

He was recommended to us back in the early 90s right after we brought Brian home from the Veteran's Hospital in Los Angeles. We needed a physicial who we could depend on to help Brian and support our cause of caring for him at home. This story isn't about Brian now but about how a sensitive physican and his staff cared for a family doing almost the impossible. I could have never taken the responsibility of caring for Brian at home had it not be for the skill and foresight and expertise we could always expect from Dr. S. and his staff. He was always available. I never ever had difficulty reaching him or never was a telephone call not returned whether from any of his staff or from him. He was so dependable right up until the night Brian died. There isn't anything more a mother could want from a physician caring for her child than we received from Dr. S. He was ALWAYS supportive - and I emphasize this because a physician I had before Dr. S. had shouted at me in the hospital when Brian had pneumonia. The doctor said that I had too much hope and he was always negative and depressing.

Not only do we care so much for Dr. S because of Brian, but he is also on spot with both Bob and me and our health. I know I have stated I dread going to the doctor, any doctor, but on some occasions going to see Dr. S is similar to going to see the Comedy Shop. If you forget about all the medical instruments, the weight scale, uniforms, and peeing in a plastic cup, and reading boring magazines (just kidding, his are pretty interesting), reading an eye chart, counting backwards, breathing deep and hoping not to pass out but what better place to pass out - they have oxygen available, showing parts of your body you'd rather not anyone see - but going to Dr. S's. office was a positive experience - they have cookies. They also have a staff of super-duper, on-the-ball people to help you out before you go into the "door!" to the "room" where you see Dr. S. Conversation is soothing and concerning, always attentive to you needs in the front room. You are led to the "room" by a sweet caring nurse who takes care of the pre-stuff. Dr. S. is an all impressive guy - he's 7 foot tall, and thank goodness he does sit down to talk to you. The visit is never boring, even the health discussions can be filled with unusual unrelated comments. The Comedy Shop begins not as a result of the physical examination but at the onset of the comedic jokes and skits. Did you hear the one about.......? How many oranges did it take to...................? or How many knees................? There have been so many jokes passed around during our visits, I've lost count and can't remember any of them. The point being, he makes what can be a difficult time at least a more comfortable situation. Now, I am sure not everyone would want their physicians telling jokes, but for me, I appreciate a good sense of humor and have made it through many difficult moments with a slight off handed humourous comment.

Seeing Dr. S is a special occasion which I am thankful to have on my places to visit when necessary. It's comforting to know that I have someone to trust with the pieces of my most intimate life. So to you Dr. S - thanks so much for your commitment, you are the greatest!




No comments: