Saturday, October 11, 2008

Is it time to put the extra blankets on the bed - already?

Brrrr! it was 48 degrees on our outside temp gauge this morning. That's the trouble with our weather here - it goes from being horribly hot to cold with only a few weeks of reprieve in between. The spring and fall seem to be the same and I try to draw out and enjoy every minute of coolness from the days I can. Our leaves turn colors slowly in the autumn and hang on their branches as if to say I'm not ready to leave and fall to earth and it seems within a matter of maybe a month, there are new buds - its amazing the turnaround we have here in the dry desert atmosphere. I love the spring and fall here but I do miss the spring bushes and trees from the south - the Red Bud, the Azaleas, Forsythia and all the others, but we have a few desert spring trees that I've found and can enjoy. Our fall colors aren't as vibrant as the north or the east but the yellow leaves are brazen and some reds are so crimson they take your breath away.

It's windy again today and every one's allergies are stirring. Bob always keeps a hundred boxes of Puffs available for those sniffles that are inevitable now. Halloween is just around the bend. Bob has resigned the job and has passed the bucket on to whoever wants to assume the job. I remember when Angel my yellow lab was alive, she had to go to the door and see who was there. I miss her. We usually give out the Rice Krispies treats every year - no fuss, and not a too bad snack for the kids. Don't have to worry about a kid having an allergy attack to the candy. Costco sells a big box of them and they don't cost an arm and a leg. We gave away our outside Halloween decorations so our house will be dull by comparison to some other homes on the block.

My three blessings for the day are very simple: I am feeling pretty good today ; it's a lovely fall day; and its quiet and peaceful in the house right now. The last one is subject to change at any moment, but I do treasure the quiet times.

I hope you have a pleasant surprise today that makes you happy. Take good care.

No comments: