Thursday, October 16, 2008

Mellow yellow

It's a good day, but mellow with a touch of the blaas. There's lots to do today, mainly laundry and I had hoped to finish up the packing tasks I started yesterday, but there's a glitch so I'm on hold for completion. I looked at a local home contractor's ad on the computer yesterday , I was curious what kind of new homes he had for sale. I was absolutely stunned at the price for the home. I thought new home prices were suppose to be lower, but not this guy's homes. I wonder where his buyers are getting their mortgages? I think as soon as my knee is better, we'll start looking, I mean actually going in rather than checking things out from the street. I just don't know if I want to stay here in this area, if it was up to Bob he wouldn't stay. He wants to move to Fredericksburg, Texas, near Luckenbach, where the living "seems" easy and the home prices are much lower. I've thought about renting a place here and traveling until we decide but I really don't want to move twice.

I am glad the debates are over. We haven't received our voter booklets in the mail yet and the early voting starts on Friday, I'm suspicious and hope nothing is out of sorts with our names. We have voted in every election. This one is very important, as you well know. There are several early voting places to go, but I've decided we'd go to the Henderson City Hall for early voting. I feel safer than going to the grocery story. Last time we voted for the presidential race we went to Boulder City City Hall and there was a question about Bob's ballot - evidently there was someone else who used his name, but the person who checked his ballot at the other location must not have checked signatures in the book. Bob has a very unusual and distinctive signature that is very unique. Maybe this year we will carry our birth certificates with us. I wish all states had the law to check ids but they don't. This is just a worrisome campaign. Too much going on in our country and depending on who is elected, our country policies may change drastically. I am trying to have the resolve as Bob has said and leave my worries in the Hand of God and trust Him to take care of us, as He always has.

Tom will on occasion instant message from Iraq and he has a video camera on his computer too, so it is very special to not only heard from him immediately but see him as we speak. We "talked' online last night. He really looks good and is doing well. The weather is cooling off - it was 60 when I was typing him last night. It is extremely hot there in the summer time but will cool off when the sun goes down. He only has a little over five months to go. He's not sure where he will be transferred when he comes back from his tour of duty there. He's a really nice guy and we are very proud of him.

I am fed up with my computer and I am looking at purchasing another desktop. This is a Sony Vaio and I love the audio speakers and I have a large screen which I won't change, but the desktop has been a pain in the patootie since I bought it. It took me a long time to realize that when Sony manufactured this computer they really goofed up when they separated the hard drives. This Sony has little memory space on the main drive with the OS and lots of memory on the D drive. I have read reviews of some users who have tried to repartition the hard drives and it didn't work well with the Vaio. They had lots of trouble. Again as usual a week or so ago I was trying to clean up and move around and delete stuff and I guess I deleted a systems file I shouldn't have and I've had lots of problems since. This problem is reoccurring constantly and I'm tired of dealing with it. I'd like to get a new desktop with one terabyte and a good processor with two cd/dvd players it would be perfect to do what I enjoy doing with photos, music and videos. I'm considering upgrading and I do have the blessing of Bob to go ahead with the purchase, but I'm not an impulsive purchaser so I'll have to get mad enough to do it. I just hate to spend the cash right now. We'll see.

That's about it from the mellow fellow gal today - lots to do and it is another beautiful southern Nevada fall day. That's why I like this area - no humidity but we do miss living in a place with four seasons but we don't want to shovel snow. Also, we would love to grow tomatoes. We just don't have good luck with a garden here no matter which way we've tried.
I hope each of you have a very nice day and are feeling well. Take good care and do something special for yourself today.

No comments: