Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Today's great accomplishment

If you've ever planned for a long time to do something and the day finally arrives that you can fulfill the responsibility, then you'll know the self-gratification I feel today. Bob and I early voted. I am so thankful we have completed this wonderful privilege we have here in the United States. It was very busy at the voting poll although was very organized and no waiting in line for a voting machine. It is an honor that I treasure with all my heart.

It was an absolutely beautiful day. We didn't accomplish very much today. After we voted we went to lunch to celebrate, then to Costco to spread the wealth, and came home. I cooked salmon patties and buttered noodles for supper. Now some of you may say - "yuck" but that combination is a staple meal for a Midwesterner's Catholic Friday fish meal back in the days when we couldn't eat meat on Fridays. Salmon patties are also a poor man's protein - for lack of a better phrase which wouldn't come to me!!!! I love buttered noodles and my mom made them from the time I was a little girl so it is a very old timey side dish.

Bob likes my cooking and he is easy to please. His mom and grandmothers were excellent cooks. What was amazing to me was that each had their own method and neither were fancy cooks but very practical. My mom was a wonderful cook too and I learned a lot of basics from her, then after I married Bob, I picked up his family's recipes. My mom taught me the basics for vegetable and types of soup and the Midwest style of chili soup and which is nothing like what cooks make out here in the west. I love to make all kinds of soup and I never make the same type twice. For example, my chicken soup never has the same flavor the second time around, I'm always tweaking it.

I know that's one reason Bob kept me around. His mom and grandma's spoiled him with their good cooking, and I knew one of the best way around a man and to keep him happy was through his stomach. Forty-four years of cooking proved that.

Have a restful evening and pleasant dreams. See ya tomorrow.

1 comment:

Call Me Grandma said...

I love butter noodles and salmon.
When I cook soup each time it has a different taste. That's because I don't follow a recipe.
I don't think I am a good cook(wonder why that is?) but my kids and hubby seem to think so.
Food to me,always taste better when someone else cooks it.
I love to eat out.