Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Quiet day

Being alone, is that a positive need? Today our two adult sons and granddaughter who live with us each went to visit friends and we were left on our own. Perhaps to some who relish their children visiting and being around, they may not understand how we cherish our alone, quiet time in our home. We are generous souls and open our hearts to help whenever the need presents itself, but as senior citizenship and some health problems have sneaked into each of our bodies, we yearn for the quiet and solitude. I reminded the younger who has the granddaughter that we are retired on fixed income and he acknowledged, but I wondered if that generation really understands what that means.

When we were living in Kentucky on the farm back in the 70s and 80s, we would often make the trip to Bob's parents who lived in southern Illinois. We passed homes of people who were very poor and I felt deep compassion for them. It is an emotion I have never forgotten. At the time we were struggling, with four kids and one salary, but we always had food on the table and the bills were paid and a good roof over our heads. I do remember my boys saying after they grew up they would never buy another pair of Sear's Toughskin jeans because that's the only brand I ever bought. They were very active boys and we lived on a working farm. Those jeans were tough and lasted a good long time through many rough and tumble days and farm jobs. It was a good buy and all I could afford at the time.

I am afraid sometimes that what we have earned and saved for retirement won't sustain us through our old age. The times are questionable and yet our kids don't realize the worry we have. We also never stop worrying about our children or grandchildren regardless of how old they get. The economy here in Southern Nevada requires two paychecks to sustain a home whether that is living in an apartment or renting a home - buying a place is more attainable today, but without golden credit it is impossible.

But, aside from the worries about the economy and the campaign, Bob and I did enjoy the peace and quiet of the day and we are are thankful for what we have, we are blessed. We do treasure our time alone even if we did spend our day doing the same ole routine except without interruption.

I hope you have had a good day too. God bless you and yours with a pleasant day tomorrow.

1 comment:

Call Me Grandma said...

Oh grandma...we are so much a like.
I love my alone time. I cherish it even more now that I have had it, and then it was taken away. When Dan came home from Iraq, he married, had a little girl right away. They lived in NC for about a years but financially it was tough. So they moved closer to us. We help them as much as we can, mostly babysitting and they live in a small house we own.
I missed my alone time after they moved back. Now that Gabby is in daycare I have some of my alone time back again. It feels so good.
I also care for my 89 years old mother. I also have a nine year old grandson, who is with his dad (my other son) 3 days a week and every other weekend, so I babysit him. Alone time for me and hubby is a luxury, and we cherish every moment.
Retirement and finances...all I can say it is not our parents time any more. You can not depend on anything.
Reading your post was like reading my own story.
I guess this our generations story. Raising grandkids and hoping we don't outlive our retirement money.