Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Pack rats - call the exterminator!

I wonder how many of us are there - those who just can't part with greeting card, colored pages from a child, concert tickets or stacks and stacks of graded college papers? Yesterday I finally finished folding and packing away two huge boxes of clothes I kept from I think about 20 years ago. They were time tested outfits but didn't fit my out of shape body. My suits were like Chanel's and would never go out of style I have to face it, I would never either be in the situation to wear suits again or most likely never be able to fit into them at the pace I'm not moving. So, off they went. I surprised myself (is it possible to surprise yourself, really?). I thought I would be depressed to let them go, I had such high hopes but now all I have is the memory and photos of those days gone by and the high heeled shoes I wore. I think I miss that fashion most of all - wearing high heels, not the pointy pencil heel ones, those I gave up after having the second baby. I don't know how women walk a long time in high heels.

Once those boxes were packed and moved out of my space, I began on another group of unfinished packed boxes dated in the 80s. Ahh, the memories floated around the my mind of the good times and I smiled as I sorted through the many pieces of notebook paper, conference books, and newsletters. I found stacks of dot matrix paper from the first dot matrix print we purchase around 1987 and on those pages were instructions how to operate the DOS computer. I don't remember how now, Bill Gates made it easy to work computers when he developed Windows. I took a computer class in 1985 and was taught on a Radio Shack Tandy - it was DOS and it was brain work. I was hired for a job with the union at Hoover Dam in 1986 as a office manager/gal of all trades to put their files together. Everything they had was in boxes and what was remarkable was the documents that dated back to the beginning of the Boulder Dam that were signed marking the agreement of service. It was ancient and awesome.

I was provided with a Mac Plus computer to use for data input. I was shocked at the ease of use of this computer after learning the complicated system of the DOS computer. I remember thinking what a piece of cake - and it was. We have come a long way since 1987 and since I purchased my first computer shortly after that, a DOS machine too. And, there it was remnants of computer paper from that old computer that we got rid of a long time ago. I had arranged three boxes of disposal for the stuff that I find in the boxes - keepers, shredders, and garbage.
Can you guess which box the dot matrix paper went into - if you guessed the garbage, you are right. Although, maybe it would be a good torture tool for who ever goes through my stuff when I die, maybe the paper deserves to be in a museum, nah, don't care!

I am a sentimental fool so I know this is why I am a pack rat. I know I have to do a better job of sorting and getting rid of stuff because we are downsizing. We have lived in large homes because we've had four children and now grandchildren living with us. I am looking forward to our next place to be only two of us - and one temporarily - our soldier boy. I know he won't want to live with his old grannies for long once he is out of the Army. I have to put the others out and on their own. Bob and I have never been on our own unless we take a vacation. So, I must put my self control in gear and push ahead to do some serious throwaway exercises.

Oh, I wanted to ask, do you have something you like to collect? That's something else that's difficult to get rid of - collectibles. I like fountain pens, paper weights, china tea cups, books, tablecloths, cookbooks, and well, the list goes on, thus there's the problem of space. I hope I can rise up to the challenge of strict organization. I'll keep you informed. It is a challenge.

I hope you have a good day today. I hope you meet someone special who brings a smile to your face and love to your heart. God bless.

1 comment:

Call Me Grandma said...

I liked the Saturday Night Fever post. It brought back memories of doing the monkey. Remember the song Mickey's Monkey? lol