Thursday, October 23, 2008

Miniature Tootsie Rolls

The sun has set here and its getting dark outside but my family is out in the driveway making noises doing something. I was thinking about Lightning Bugs. I grew up in the midwest, Ohio to be precise, and during the summer evenings when there was a bunch of kids together in the neighborhood, we'd get a glass jar with a lid and catch all the lightning bugs we could but we don't have them here and catching lightning bugs is something my grandkids have missed growing up doing. My kids did have that experience when we lived on the farm in Kentucky. I wonder if kids back in the midwest and east still do those things?

One thing I do like about this desert climate is the dry air. There's something peaceful about it in the evenings. I remember once when I flew here to Vegas from Kentucky to see my dad who had had a heart attack and my mom needed help. It was in January and I left the bitter cold and two feet of snow, it was a bad winter in Kentucky and surrounding areas that year. When I arrived in Las Vegas, I only needed a light jacket. There's something in the evening air that I can't quite describe but I am at ease with how I feel once the summer heat has left and the fall season finally brings the cool temperatures. We really do enjoy sitting outside after the sun goes down, it's peaceful.

What is your favorite snack food? Are you a chocolateholic? We had to pick up a few things at Wal-Mart today. I've been wanting something when I get the munchies as we are watching the TV and the program is driving me mad with tension and excitement. At the end of one of the aisles I zeroed in on a huge bag of miniature tootsie rolls. Bob had taken a quick detour as we entered the store and he headed to the powder room leaving me alone to shop for a few minutes. There was no hesitation and I quickly grabbed the big bag of tootsie rolls, hiding it under my large handbag and swiftly moved down the aisle to find a Halloween card for Tom in Iraq. When Bob was unloading the groceries on the conveyor belt at check out he never said anything about the huge bag of miniature tootsie rolls but placed them in line right along with all the other healthy (ha ha) food we selected. I did notice this evening he was enjoying the handful of miniature tootsie rolls I left for him on the table by his TV chair in the living room.

Another day pit the dust, where does the time go! I'm glad I have dyed hair so I don't have to count the grey hairs! Hope you have a pleasant evening. Take good care.

No comments: