Friday, March 13, 2009

Lenten Friday, no meat again

I wonder how many of the Catholics reading this post were around when their mom's served them tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches or tuna sandwiches on Friday. Way back in the day, it was a Catholic law we couldn't have meat on Friday, then someone changed the rules. I don't do many sacrifices during lent, don't know why, but we do give up meat on Fridays and a couple other things. Being humble is a part of it all too - not suppose to brag about sacrifices. This is just a discussion about days gone by and memories of what use to be. I remember tuna casseroles, too, and egg sandwiches. Today I make a mean tuna casserole that is pretty good and it's an all in one dish too. Meatless Fridays brings the ole time meaning of Lent back to me.

I got a call last night from my Aunt and Uncle in Ohio. They are so much fun and I love being with them My aunt is my mom's sister and our whole family love having a good time. My aunt has been sick for some time with all sorts of things, but she still keeps in good spirits and we always find something silly to laugh at. She had breast cancer (radical) almost five years ago. She was doing fine until she went in for a check up recently and they found problems. She's will be 80 next month. It is so difficult to deal with these situations when there is so much distance between us. I want to go back to see her, but, as is always the situation most times, there's always something else to attend to that is just as important. It tears me into pieces. Son Kevin will have back surgery in a couple of weeks and we have to be here for granddaughter Alex. There's no one else here to help. And, Soldier Tom may come home early too.

We go through our daily lives with needs and requirements and we do the best we can, then boom! out of the blue the heavy trials come into our life. Yes, it is life and it is all apart of growing up and getting older to deal with health and life problems of one sort or another. I have prayed so hard and committed for my Aunt as I did for my mom and Brian too, but regardless, some things are out of our hands. Those are the things that are most difficult to accept and I question. My faith is always shaken to the bone during these times, and I always ask why! Always! Pain and suffering for the good! Why is that? My aunt is the sweetest person, as was my mom and my son. I know it is what our life is all about, only temporarily here and pain apart of it all. I don't care, I just don't like it anyhow.

1 comment:

Call Me Grandma said...

I am with you...I don't like it either. But, usually in the end I can see His hand in it. It then all makes sense.