Monday, March 30, 2009

A new Day

I talked to Soldier Tom twice yesterday - - delight, delight, delight!!! The first I called his cell number just to see if he was stateside and if his cell was working. We had received a note from our FRG person so we knew they were in NJ at McGuire AFB. I was too antsy and couldn't concentrate. I hadn't dialed (dialed? we don't dial telephone numbers anymore, do we?) Anyway, I plunked in the numbers after checking the authencity of the number since I had forgotten - hadn't called the number since last year - a deliquent case of CRS. He answered!!! Oh boy! was is so good to hear his voice and without the hesitation that is apart of an overseas call. I forgot to ask him how it felt to be able to use his phone and text again and not have to stand in a line to get to a landline. He couldn't talk long - only about 30 seconds, they were in a meeting and having a ceremony and people were greeting the troops and there was a lot of voices in the background. It was exciting! I did raise cain at him because he was texting his friends but he didn't call home!!! Did I make him feel guilty?

Well, he called home later after they had gotten on the bus to head south to Ft. Bragg. He mentioned that they were stopped at a McDonald's - can you imagine that? Their first McDonald USA stop!!!! There were two bus loads of Army soldiers. Tom said a woman in the drive-through asked if they were all going to eat there? She probably felt like she was never going to get her food! It was an awesome conversation that only lasted a couple of minutes because they were loading up the busses to head to their "home" base.

I haven't heard from him since but I am so relieved just the same knowing our Solder Tom is back in the USA safe and sound.