Thursday, March 19, 2009

One who laughs!

Within the past couple of weeks, I've been talking with my Aunt Thelma who lives in Ohio. The news hasn't been so good. I am in a difficult situation because we live so far away and right now we are not in the position we can pick up and leave to see about matters that mean so much.

Aunt Thelma's cancer has come back. She was almost at the five year mark from her breast cancer surgery, so now this. She has several other severe ailments which make life difficult for her. As I've written in previous posts about my Aunt, she has a great attitude. Through all the bad news, she can continue to joke around and we always have great laughs. We enjoy so many of the same things in life. She is my mom's sister. My mom was a ball of fun to be with but she was very strict with me. Not much got by her, she was a clever and cunning and could read my face easily. Mom stopped me from telling little white lies when I was a little kid when she told me those white lines on my finger nails showed how many lies I told. I was a grown up before I knew the real truth to that, but it stopped me from telling little white lies, and really that's all they were - and no, I have no white lines on my nails!!! Mom passed away some years back. I sure do miss her!

When Thelma married Uncle Dick, they bought a place in our neighborhood so I rode my bike to visit a lot. I never thought that maybe they didn't want a little kid hanging around their place. They would have me for dinner. Aunt Thelma made the very best mashed potatoes of anyone in the whole wide world, now Uncle Dick has taken over the job, and his is pretty good too.

Our time on this earth is so unpredictable, we don't know when it will be our time. If you are of a faith in God, you know we are placed here for a reason and once that time and reason has been accomplished it is your time to go be with Your Father. Those words are etched in unerasable ink in my memory because of the others who have left me, those who have made me laugh, cry, smile, and be joyful. I don't like this part of life, I really don't. But, it's inevitable and I can't run away from it.

I sent Aunt Thelma the flowers in the photo. It was sort of a trial order because I usually go through a regular florist. I had been online involved in something when an ad for FlowersPro, I think it was called, popped up. I thought it would be a good idea to send her flowers for no reason except to let her know we were thinking of her. What else can I do - I'm not there to help. I feel so empty and sad that I can't be there, but I have responsibilities here - isn't that the way it is as an adult.

We are going to try to go see her and Uncle Dick once we find out when Soldier Tom will be coming home and after Kevin's back surgery. See, life fills our time with responsibilities. I know God is watching and saying "it'll all work out, and you can manage!" Only with His help and guidance.

Please keep Aunt Thelma in your prayers. She is one of those very special people.

No comments: